Monday, December 1, 2008

Pizza and Pupcakes

The puggie's buddy Pearl asked us what the deal was with pizza from New Jersey being "real pizza." It's so hard to describe, Pearl! So, I took some pictures of the best pie (we call it a slice of pizza pie, not a piece of pizza) that I ate while in New Jersey. Brian and I went to Pete & Elda's in Neptune City, New Jersey on Tuesday last week.

They are known for their thin thin thin pizzas. It is about an hour away from my mom's house (we went there to tour the town I spent every summer in down the shore, Spring Lake) and we got a half plain, half sausage and onion XL pie. YUM!!!

Plain for me please! Their XL is like a small size L, or even a larger M, because it is so paper thin! I was barely full after half of a whole pie!

I also got two slices for dinner on Wednesday (I have an addiction) and they were from my favorite place in town, Michael's.

Look at that glistening grease! Jersey pizza has this great sauce-cheese ratio that almost makes the two become one thin layer over the delectable crust. You all must try it sometime in your life! Michael makes amazing pizza, he actually lets me practice my Italian when I pick up anything! Last year he half-baked us a whole plain pie, and then we drove it back with us to Indy. This year we didn't do it though because after all the traveling, we are trying to eat healthy and avoid crazy temptations... like whole pizza pies!!!!!

Also, I have to share a little about what I bought the pugs in New Jersey... their Christmas prezzies!!! But I won't tell you what they are! But I will tell you that this place that just opened in New Jersey (down the road from where I grew up) is fantastic, it's called  PupCake Dog Bakery & Boutique. They had so much cute stuff!!!!! If anyone is from North Jersey or plans to visit there, you must stop by. We got a pug ornament as well for our tree (that we don't have yet) and the owner gave us a nice free sampling of liver biscotti!! It was a big hit! Stay tuned to find out what the puggies get for Christmas!

11 comments:

Salinger The Pug said...

Liver biscotti!!!! I'm on it!

I just made gingerbread biscotti (for people) today and am going to tweak it and figure out the liver version!

BTW...I just made a huge batch of those peanut butter cookie treats that Sophie and Dixie liked so much at the Valentine's Day meetup. We're going to decorate them all Christmassy.

Glad you enjoyed your pizza! A little taste of home is always wonderful!

Tummy rubs and kisses to "that there yeller dog" from us!

Love,
Laura (S-Dog's mom/personal chef)

Pug Posse said...

I totally understand about the pizza...I went to school in upstate New York and we had this place called New York Pizzeria where you could get a slice of cheese pizza after hitting the bars. That place was so popular especially on the weekends! You just can't get pizza like that here. The closest I've found is Luca or a place called Eh Formaggio, but it's still not the same. I just don't get into that Chicago style deepdish stuff. Now you made me hungry for pizza!
Pug hugs!
Vikki and the Pug Posse

Kelly said...

Thank you SO much for clearing that up for me! I feel ASHAMED that I thought Pizza Hut was the real deal!! I love that you call it a pizza 'pie'. I am totally going to start using that around here. People will think I am so well-traveled. :)

I sure do love Oklahoma, but I think we do a bad job of imitating Italian food. And I hear our version of Mexican food is pretty far off, too! But we can SURE do a burger and a beer! :)

P.S. Dixie! Come see the nose-guard I did on my bloggie yesterday! You'd be proud!

Sandra y Coco Pug said...

I can't believe I didn't read this before! I spent 10 days in NJ/NY two years ago, for Christmas and New Year, and didn't have pizza!!!

Harry Pugalicious said...

Mom said those pizza pics are making her really hungry! I think the liver biscotti sounds yummys!!!

Ruby Bleu said...

Being a Jersey girl myself, NJ pizza is the bestest! I have found only one place in CA that even comes close and it closed - wahhhh!!! Ruby, being a CA girl, only likes veggie pizza - LOL!

I can't wait to see what you got the pups!

michele (Ruby's Mom)

Bobo the Boston Terrier said...

omg my mom's friend fed me pepperoni last week...shhh

martha said...

I call my husband my Jersey Boy. He grew up outside of Trenton, and he introduced me to Jersey pizza, too. Our favorite is from Maruca's in Seaside Park. Of course living in Texas, we don't get anything like it anywhere. So very sad... But I'm glad to know you had some of your favorite Jersey pizza!

Joe Stains said...

That looks almost like the pizza Mom had in Europe, YUM. She is drooling all over and so are we!!

Nevis said...

Mmm....NJ or NY pizza pies are awesome! So greasy! So yummy! It's not pizza if the greas isn't sliding down your wrist as you bring the slice to your mouth!

Murphy Dogg said...

Yes! The perfect slice of pizza must be as big as your head, and you gotta be able to fold it in half to eat it. Then, there needs to be a little dribble of grease that runs down the middle of the fold and onto your plate/shirt/dog's lips.
C-ya,
Murphy Dogg